Monday, January 18, 2016

The Big Hole

After a week housebound with the flu it was so nice to get outdoors and go hiking today.

The Husband suggested we check out The Big Hole in Deua National Park, about 90 mins drive south east of our place. The weather was perfect. Blue skies, cool breeze and plenty of sunshine.

The trail to the Big Hole is family friendly and a pretty easy walk. The landscape changed from eucalypt bush to alpine heather as we got higher up the hill.

 

 

 

The view from the top of the hill across to the mountains in the west was stunning.

 

 

I was amazed at the size of the Big Hole when we reached it. I knew it was big but didn't expect it to be THAT BIG! Photos don't capture the true scale. I fact I could only fit half of the hole in my viewfinder. At just over 100 meters deep it's utterly breathtaking. I loved standing on the viewing platform watching swallows swoop and circle to catch insects then return to their nests on the limestone ledges.

 

 

 

My favourite part of the trail was wading across the Shoalhaven River.

 

 

 

The water was icy but so refreshing especially at the end of the hike. Time like this with my boys...discovering, adventuring, exploring...it's the best!


We stopped at historic Braidwood for lunch on the way home. I could happily live in that gorgeous country town. The Main Street has a lot of new cafes and homewares stores since our last visit. We lunched at the Braidwood Bakery then finished off with sweet treats at the old lolly shop.

 

A great day trip from the Canberra region. Can't wait to do more!

 

xx Em

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey lovely Em, I have nominated you for an award! Go here to find out more http://boobinabox.net/2016/01/20/one-lovely-blog/

    ReplyDelete

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx