Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sunday

Well hello Sunday! My nagging headache is finally subsiding and to distract myself from scanxiety I thought I'd do another foodie post. I had my brain CT and bone density scans on Friday and I'm hoping that the films will show a beautiful tumour free brain tomorrow. As for my bone density, it's bound to be pitiful, but at least there are no surprises there.
 
Anyway, onto the lovely foodie post with two preserving recipes to share.
 
 
 
 
The first is Miche's Apricot Jam that I found on Susan Herrmann Loomis' beautiful french blog
 
This is so simple to make and has an incredibly intense flavour.
 
 
 
 
The second recipe I snavelled from the Taylor's website and just tweaked the quantities to match the large batch of pears I'd picked from our tree.
 
 
 
 
Ingredients:
 
8 pears
1 bottle of port
1 bottle of Shiraz
1 cup of caster sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise
8 cloves
1 tspn nutmeg
2 vanilla bean pods or 2 tspns vanilla extract
1 tbspn orange zest
1 tbspn lemon zest
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tspn salt
 
 
 
 
Combine all ingredients, except the pears, in a saucepan and gently bring to the boil. Simmer the liquid gently for 10 mins while you peel and core the pears, leaving the stalks on for decoration.
 
 
 

Drop in the pears and simmer for 30 mins, turning occasionally to cook evenly. Remove the pears and place them into sterilised preserving jars. Pour over the syrup leaving a 1cm headspace. Seal jars.

 
 
Totally scrummy served warm with a side of vanilla bean icecream.
 
 

 

Happy preserving!

xx Em

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx