Saturday, August 16, 2014

The brain drain.

My drain is out. Freedom!

You would think, having played the original mastectomy game just 19 months ago that I would be well schooled in drain etiquette. No. Oh goodness no!

Having a metre long tube emerging from under my ribs with a blood filled bag attached to the end wasn't obvious enough to remind my brain about the 'for gods sake don't walk off without it' rule.

I blame chemo brain.

 

 

For the eight days that it was part of me, I managed to snag myself on average about half a dozen times a day. The bag was tucked inside a pretty rainbow polka dot fabric tote that I'd made. I would hang the tote on the back of the chair or by the side of my bed and inevitably get up and walk off only to lurch back after a couple of steps with a burning pain in my ribs.

 

Ow bloody ow!!!

Of course, now that it is no longer attached to my body, I stop to collect it before getting up from my chair only to remember that it's not there. Oh how very amusing my chemo addled grey matter is these days! Time to get cracking on the brain gym program and start reconnecting some neurons.

 

 

Anyway, to celebrate my escape from tangled tubes, we went out for a family dinner last night at Grill'd in Manuka. It felt really great to feel well enough to go out. Grill'd is the perfect place for dinner with my boys. I love the interiors and the casual atmosphere. I love their tokens for local charities program.

And the food...

 

 

I went for the triple sliders with chicken, wasabi and pomegranate; beef, mustard & pickle and; chicken & asian slaw. So good, so so good!

 

 

Made better with a side of sweet potato fries & sweet chilli sauce.

 

 

We bumped into some friends we hadn't seen for a while on our way out, then the boys danced their way around the block on the walk back to the car. The weather is warming up, am looking forward to Spring and all the gorgeous outdoor adventures that come with it.

 

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend.

xx Em

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx