Monday, February 3, 2014

Pixie cuts, Primary School & Protein Balls

 

 

So...this is me...all pixie-fied.

 

I've decided to keep my hair short for a while, a decision mostly based on the need to be practical. Its just easier to not have to style it while I'm recovering from my next mastectomy. Now that it's been cropped again, I rather like it. It feels like me. Not the, 'hair growing in after chemo' me, but the, 'I'm confident enough to sport a pixie crop cause that's the way I like it' me. I may or may not have become a smidge lazy re: hair maintenance too. Perhaps one day I'll grow it back into a bob again and spend countless hours blow drying and straightening and colouring...or maybe I won't. Maybe this is the new long term me...emerging from my cancer cocoon with a greater appreciation for simple, fuss free style.

 

Today Harry started 'big school'. I can't tell you how incredibly proud we are of this kid. He had such a tough year last year. When I was diagnosed he didn't know how to verbalise his feelings which was so difficult for him because he was feeling A LOT as he watched me deteriorate during surgery and chemo. But with patience and an incredible Preschool Teacher who helped him express those feelings through drawings and words, he transformed back into a confident, happy little boy.

 

 

This morning when he woke up he gave me the biggest hug and said "I turn into a Kindy Kid today and I'm not even nervous". He dressed himself in his new uniform, tied his own shoelaces and helped prepare his lunch. Then we picked roses for his teachers, "because I love my teachers so much Mummy". I mean really, could he be any sweeter???

 

 

He strolled through the schoolyard with such self assurance and greeted his teacher with a big "Good Morning Mrs Atkinson" as he handed her the flowers. All kinds of awesome, he is ALL kinds of awesome!

 

 

And so was his well behaved brother who sat quietly with a puzzle while Harry checked out his new desk. After a couple of minutes it was clear that our big grown up boy was having no problem settling into his new class so we gave him a cuddle, Jack hurrahed him with a booming "Goodbye Hawwy" and we left without a tear shed from anyone. It was a lovely!

 

After we dropped Hubby at work the Jackman and I went into the city for some morning tea and a play in Glebe Park to mark the start of a new chapter for us. I am so excited that we get to spend five days a week together...just the two of us. Harry had 3 years of my undivided attention and I dearly wanted Jack to have some competition-free Mummy time too.

 

 

These boys are growing up so fast and I want to savour this time.

Speaking of savouring...(nice segway Em!)...I promised to share the recipe I used for the nut-free protein balls that I instagramed yesterday.

A protein packed lunchbox snack that is incredibly easy to make.

 

 

The recipe for these Amazeballs can be found here.

I substituted a couple of the ingredients with what I had in the pantry (high quality cocoa instead of raw cacao and a carob/oatmeal/linseed mix instead of sunflower seeds and it worked a treat. Be warned though, they won't last long so make a double batch!

 

Here's cheers for a fabulous first day of Kindy...may the rest of the school year be just as great!

 

xx Em

 

9 comments:

  1. Haha I remember the first day of school for my eldest. That "you can go now Mummy" and off she went happy as anything!! So glad it all went well for your little man & hope he's come home full,of amazing stories!! Enjoy your precious days with your little one...he is going to love having you to himself. Gaye xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gaye, he had a great day and gave me a blow by blow account of it on the way home.
      xx Em

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the shout out to my recipe! Love the idea of the carob/oatmeal/linseed mix instead of sunflower seeds – will definitely give that a try myself! Congrats on your little one starting school. Their school bags are just enormous aren't they! Very inspiring blog. Looking forward to a good read of it with a cuppa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the awesome recipe Lovely. Your blog is my new go-to for great foodie ideas!

      Cheers xx Em

      Delete
  3. I think you look absolutely gorgeous with your pixie cut. What a big day for Harry and you guys, it sounds like you all handled with a lot of care and love. Lou xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Hawwy ;) So sweet - sounds like he's gonna LOVE school. He rocked day one - and if I was a teacher with your lil guy...it would make my job easy!

    Enjoy your days with the Jackman!

    ps - I said it on IG and I'll say it here...that new hair do' - you ROCK it!

    .:Marta:.

    pps...on the site now for that recipe - woot! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taa Lovely, hope your little Raisin loves them as much as my boys xx

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx