Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Fiend

Our beloved girls are gone.
 
 
A fiendish fox attacked them before dawn on Monday morning.
 
 
 
 
It was a truly awful sound to wake up to. Daisy and Marigold were mercifully, killed quite quickly, but poor Rhubarb was left gurgling and crying until Hubby put her out of her misery.
 
It broke our hearts...our beautiful, friendly little chookens.
 
 
 
 
The fox escaped over our back fence and the school perimeter fence which was quite a jump.
Nasty, opportunistic villain!
 

 

I miss all the girls but I miss Rhubarb the most.

 

 

She was one of our first chicks.

A gorgeous Rhode Island Red who gave us beautiful speckled brown eggs.

She outlasted Parsley & Lavendar who both succumbed to an illness.

She outlasted Rosemary & Thyme who became egg bound.

 


And she outlasted Daisy & Marigold when the fox attacked.


Oh Rhubarb...my radiant little red hen.


I've found myself taking scraps out to the girls before remembering that I don't need to anymore.

So very, very sad.

 

We will get some more girls as soon as we've fox proofed the hen house...(we requested a fox proof structure when it was built but it clearly doesn't meet spec...boo hiss!). Till then we will savour the last of our girls' eggs and remember them fondly.

 

xx Em

 

6 comments:

  1. Awww..that's so sad! Damn fox - if I saw him, I'd punch him square in the nose.

    I'm so sorry to hear you chickies are gone. Savour the last of the girls eggs.

    .:Marta:.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!! I'm sorry that nasty fox got your girls. Enjoy their eggs and all the wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have been thinking of you and your little sad people. Hope the purchase of new chooks when your fence is fox proofed will brings smiles to your little guys faces. Gaye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Booo!! Thats horrible :( Keep us updated about when you get new ones.

    ReplyDelete

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx