Sunday, January 19, 2014

An update on this cancer malarky.

So, thought I'd share where I'm at with my cancer at the moment.

I'll kick it off with some good news...

I went and saw my GP last Thursday to discuss the mammogram & ultrasound reports. To my surprise and absolute delight, the scans showed that not only was I tumour free, but the radiation damage to my reconstructed breast is relatively minor. Win and WIN! It means its unlikely that I'll need to have the implant replaced when I have my second mastectomy in a few months. Really great news!


Post Mastectomy

Twelve months on and I'm still healing from my surgery. I have to remind myself to be patient with my body and allow it time to recover and repair, but sometimes I feel so frustrated with how sore and sensitive my breast, armpit and right arm still feel a whole year later. It's a strange combination of numbness and pain. Bit of a contradiction really...how can you be numb and still feel pain? I can only equate it to when you try to get the circulation back in your foot when it has gone to sleep. Perhaps it's just something I need to get used to. Perhaps the nerve damage from the surgery is irreversible and this is as good as it gets. Who knows.


 

I'm struggling to keep on top of the lymphoedema in my right arm which is becoming quite a concern. Despite wearing a compression sleeve and weeks of twice daily physio & lymphatic drainage massage, my arm continues to swell and stiffen. I'm quickly losing mobility and it bloody hurts from my hand to my armpit whenever I try to extend my arm. It's all my own fault really. I haven't been to the gym for a month and that lack of daily exercise is invitation enough for lymphoedema to set in again. I have to admit that I'm a little annoyed with myself for becoming complacent over the holidays. Remaining vigilant pays off in the long run. So, I'll be calling the physio dept at the hospital to beg them to squeeze me in this week instead of waiting until late February for my next appointment. Let's see if they end up bandaging my arm like the Michelin Man.

Lymphoedema...a lifelong leftover of cancer that well and truly SUCKS!

 

Post Chemo

Seven months on (can't believe it's been that long!) and my hair is growing back thick and CURLY. Anyone with curly hair willing to give me some styling tips? It seems to have a mind of its own. I tried straightening it yesterday and to be honest, it looked like I was wearing a very bad wig. Not sure if I want to grow it back to the length it was before. Perhaps I should stick to a pixie cut. It would certainly be the easy option. Anyway, feedback would be much appreciated on products and tricks of the curly trade.



Post Radiation

Five months on and I still bare a distinctive radiation 'tan' that is speckled white with damaged pigmentation. Not sure how long it takes to fade or if indeed the skin tone will ever return to normal. In the scheme of things it doesn't bother me. For the last few weeks I've been getting sharp stabbing pains in my breast and armpit at random intervals. Not pleasant but I was told to expect it as the radiation damage kicked in. I am hoping that over the next few months it will ease up. Fingers crossed.

 

 

Hormone therapy

Four months on, my body (touch wood) has adjusted very well to Tamoxifen after some initial weight gain. The godawful hot flushes that incessantly plagued me during chemo & radiation tapered off and disappeared entirely once I started popping a Tamoxifen pill every day. I wasn't expecting that to happen because Tamoxifen is renown for throwing the body into early menopause. Perhaps there was nothing left for it to do seeing that chemo had already flicked the early menopause switch. I am extremely grateful that a little weight gain has been the only adverse side affect I've experienced. I was told not to expect my period to return for at least twelve months after starting hormone therapy but my regular cycle fell back into place several months ago and all seems quite normal on that front. I have my fingers crossed that hormone therapy will continue to be this straightforward and does its job of warding off a secondary cancer.

 

Emotionally it is still a bit of a rollercoaster ride. I think overall I'm pretty resilient and have a 'keep calm and carry on' attitude which gets me through for the most part...but there are times when I fall in a heap. Up until New Years Day I didn't allow myself to entertain the thought of cancer coming back. Then that red patch appeared on my left breast and it quickly destroyed the notion I'd tried to hold onto of ever being truly cancer free. As a result I have become quite protective of myself and my little family. I don't know how much of a reprieve my treatment will give me, be it two years or twenty...but I will do everything in my power to ensure my boys feel safe and secure and loved. I want them to have a happy childhood, not a tragic one. They've been through enough. I have no hesitation in removing toxic people or situations from our life and I honestly don't care if that seems ruthless or selfish to others. Life is too short.


So...that's where I'm at with this cancer malarky...living one day at a time, rolling with the punches and seeking the joy.

xx Em

 

12 comments:

  1. Em you are probably tired of hearing this but you are an incredibly amazing woman. I know it's hard to be brave all the time but you keep pushing through the really tough stuff with so much courage. You inspire me to do the same. I wish you the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, that pain and numbness combination from the mx did get better for me just recently. I am 6 years out from my first mx and that feeling was the worst. It hurt, but you couldn't feel it to try to massage the pain away. It itched, but you couldn't find the darn itch to scratch it, and the swelling UGH! I hope yours will eventually get better. I just had my second mx in September, so I'm going through it all over again. As for my hair, I switched to L'Oreal sleek and smooth line to help tame my hair. It came back curlier and a little dryer at first. That helped. My hair is longer and I still use it. Keep loving your family and finding your joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to chat to someone who understands exactly how it feels. Thanks for the hair tip. Hope it doesn't take as long with your 2nd mx. Big hugs xx

      Delete
  3. Well done, you. I've never been in your situation and so it would be wrong of me to express an opinion but you deserve huge credit for both battling it and writing about it so well. Life is not fair and none of us are entitled to perfect health but it's great to see someone fighting back. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're an absolute inspiration Em and a lovely lady to boot. I vote pixie cut, I think you really suit it. You embody so many of the qualities that I hope my little boy has when he grows up. Have an amazing new(ish) year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt, that is so kind. Pixie cut seems to be the unrivalled winner so a pixie cut it shall be.
      xx

      Delete
  5. This line in your post "I think overall I'm pretty resilient" YES AND THEN SOME!!! Holy cow Em....I'd say resilient is an understatement. I think of the birthday party you threw, the dates you went on, the way you carried yourself day to day is astounding.

    FYI you can rock that short do'...suits ya!

    You're a rockstar Em. So happy to hear the news, and I'm sure after a few rounds of physio you'll also kick lymphoedema in the butt.

    .:Marta:.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed. Rid your life of any toxic people enjoy what you have. You're alive. I'm grateful for that on a humungous scale xx

    ReplyDelete

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx