Saturday, October 5, 2013

Gotye and his band of Merry Men

Well flip...that was the best live gig I've ever been to.

I score the 'Wife gives best present of the Year' award for taking Hubby to see The Basics play live at the Transit Bar.

Hubby and I have long loved Gotye's music.

Image sourced from Gotye's website.

I subscribe to Gotye's newsletter and was thrilled when he announced that he was hitting the road again for a short Aussie tour with his band The Basics during Sept/Oct. I snapped up tickets for the Canberra gig the moment they went on sale. It was the perfect gift for Hubby's September birthday.

It was a great night. I was tossing up whether or not to take photos, but in the end, I decided that it was more important to just enjoy being in the moment with my husband instead of being occupied with taking the perfect shot. There were a thousand pics that I wanted to take. We got to the club a little early and since the band were running a tad late and still doing sound check, we decided to pop over to Smoque for a drink. I'd never been to Smoque before and completely fell in love with the joint! Its an American bar serving the best pulled pork, steak and ribs that Canberra's ever savoured! (Going back next week to try the food for ourselves, stay tuned for that fine feast!)

The Transit Bar was a cosy affair, a nice change from being in a theatre or concert hall. We found a table and parked ourselves with a drink and ordered the most incredibly moorish Mediterranean Lamb pizza. The crowd was a good mix and for once we didn't feel old and out of place...they were mostly our age. We devoured our pizza to the indie folk tunes of support act Hoy,

(Hoy...image sourced from their promo kit.)

and then about 10pm the boys hit the stage

The Basics...Tim Heath, Wally De Backer (aka Gotye) & Kris Schroeder

Plenty of cheeky banter, the polish of musos who've done years of touring, amazing vocals, harmonies like you wouldn't believe and beats that you simply have to dance to. Bloody fantastic! Do yourself a favour, if you love Gotye as much as I do check out The Basics Facebook page or have a listen to them on iTunes.

We went home feeling so alive. Music...get into it!

Cheers Em

 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an amazing night! Seriously good, I would love to do something like this with Jonathon. Totally with you on the not taking pictures thing. Sometimes I worry I won't remember it if I don't take pictures but there's something really good about just living and experiencing the moment and remember that every generation on the planet EVER lived like this and so maybe the way we should do things more often.

    Also super jealous about that food & bar you found....oh wow!!! I really fancy a vodka & lime and some ribs. Oh mama!

    Flora
    www.twowithseven.blogspot.co.uk www.twowithseven.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a great night - you do deserve an award! Happy you enjoyed the moment and didn't think of taking pics - I think I drive Chris nuts sometimes with wanting to always document everything, it's boarderline obsessive!

    So this Smoque place is right up my alley....jealous!

    .:Marta:.

    ReplyDelete

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx