Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Master Five meets Melbourne

 

Five years ago he made me a Mummy.

 

 

My beautiful Harry Bear.

All he wanted to do this year was go to Melbourne to ride the trams. But we told him that we couldn't afford to take him. Melbourne was a long way away. Ok, he said, ever so graciously, without a pout in sight.

Saturday night Hubby and I sneakily packed up the car and early Sunday morning we woke Harry with the news that we were taking a roadtrip...to Melbourne. Excited...much!

Armed with Urban Pantry coffee, we farewelled Canberra

 

 

and became acquainted with 670kms of country New South Wales & Victoria.

 

 

It was a very pretty...albeit long drive south to Melbourne.

 

With a couple of quick stops along the way.
 

 

Totally awesome playground in Albury, according to Hubby. Had to temporarily disown him while he was rocketing down the massive slide like a two year old. Seriously, who owns that man? We reached Melbourne nine hours after leaving home.

 

 

 

 

Our home away from home was The Swanston Hotel Grand Mecure. It was the perfect location, smack bang in the middle of the city overlooking Bourke Street Mall with the Swanston St tram stop right out front. Sweet! Not wanting to waste a minute of our whistlestop trip, we hit the streets for a little night exploration and some dinner at South Bank.

 

 

 
 

 

Both boys were asleep before their heads hit their pillows that night.

 

 

Monday dawned bright, breezy and beautiful.

And our little guy was FIVE!

 

 

Breakfast at a favourite cafe on Collins followed by a stroll back to the hotel through arcades and laneways.

 

 

 
 
 

 

Then just enough time to dump the pram in the hotel room and jump on a city circle tram.

 

Oh how heavenly a morning for this gorgeous little guy.

 

 

 

Not so much for the twitchy two year old who would have preferred running riot in a park somewhere.

 

 

 

The Jackman became so restless that we jumped off at Docklands Drive and wandered back along the harbour to let him burn off some energy. Only, our genius plan wasn't quite so genius and he kept running off in the opposite direction...ending in a mammoth tantrum. Hubby and I decided to divide and conquer so as to not ruin Harry's day. I took Jack back to the hotel for a nap and Hubby took the birthday boy on a surprise train trip. They jumped on the first train leaving from Platform number 5 and got off at the fifth stop which turned out to be the Zoo. How perfectly lovely!

Jack was still a little grizzly after an hour's nap so I took him out in the pram for some lunch and a stroll.

 
 

 

I do love Collins street...reminds me of New York.

Now...I'm going to put it out there and correct me if you will...but to me, Melbourne is the city of Macarons!

 

 

 
 
 
 
I thought it only proper to sample the salted caramel.
 

 

Bourke Street mall was vastly diverting with it's street performances.

 

 

Did I mention that there was a Haigh's chocolate store in the lobby of our hotel? No? My guilty little secret then!

 

 
 

 

The boys arrived back from their adventure by mid afternoon. We had a small rest in the hotel then headed up the hill to play in Carlton Gardens.

 

 

Here Jack was able to run wild and both boys had such fun exploring.

 
Then the sun disappeared and it was time for dinner.
A five year old's idea of a ritzy supper...
The Pancake Parlour of course!

 

 
 
 

 

Followed by a night tram ride to Lygon Street to sample some gelato.

Brunetti's...holy mother of all that is Italian!!!

I've never seen anything quite like it. AH-MAZING!

 

 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

Incredible Pastries & Cakes, Rustic Breads, Woodfired Pizzas, Pastas and the most delectable array of Gelato...heaven!

 

 

On the stroll back to the tram we stopped and enjoyed the most beautiful music by this lovely older gentleman.

Yesterday we headed to Hardware Lane for a relaxed, loungey breakfast at Larder Section. This is what we parents love about Melbourne...

 

 

 

 
 
 

 

 

 

 

A second lazy coffee and the last slice of avocado on sourdough for the walk back to the hotel. Bliss!

 

 

Time to check out and hit the road.

Thank you Melbourne for a fabulous stay! Harry thinks you are the most wonderful city IN THE WORLD! We love you!!!

 

14 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your trip to Melbourne & happy birthday to Harry. A lovely birthday present indeed. And the photos are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it, I need to go to Melbourne! What a fabulous TRIP! Harry asked for the right bday pressie. That park is UNREAL. The shops, the cafes, the bakeries....it looks like a dream! I need to go to a pancake parlour...STAT! I would also like to live in Brunetti's basement.

    What an amazing surprise for the little guy - he rang in 5 the best way possible. Your first line did me in: he made me a mummy 5 years ago. Sniff....that needed a kleenex disclaimer!

    .:Marta:.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely do need to jet over to this side of the globe Marta! We could descend upon Melbourne and go a little crazy...high teas, shopping, cocktails & dancing, brekky at St Kilda. Completely wonderful fun!

      p.s. I'd like to live in Brunetti's basement too.

      Delete
  3. I love taking vicarious travel adventures! Thank you! You have so many lovely photos. The umbrella birthday boy photo is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...I have a bunch of travel blogs that I follow. So many beautiful places to see!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow - your photos are beautiful!! I've never been to Melbourne but you certainly make it look like its worth going. I feel so happy for you that you were able to do the trip and give Harry a very special birthday indeed. Gaye xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds like you and your family had an amazing time, what a fantastic surprise for Harry. I have been known to frequent Brunetti's on occasion, just looking at the cakes in the window is sometimes enough. Happy Birthday Harry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matt...Harry's already started planning his next Melbourne trip. Winning destination for us!

      Delete
  6. So glad you were able to take the trip to Melbourne! Your pictures are beautiful and so is your family! It really does remind me of NY. I need to get my hubby to take me on a vacation there :)
    http://youngnasawife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to get back to New York again. Such a wonderful place. xx

      Delete
  7. The Haigh's is adding to my waistline as I read... love the pic of Jack inside Sheetie!

    ReplyDelete

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx