Friday, March 22, 2013

There is beauty in sadness

I have been struck by the beauty found in impossibly sad situations here in the oncology ward.

Yesterday a gentleman was heading home to die. As he was being wheeled out of the ward all the nurses lined the hallway and sang 'You Are My Sunshine'. He had the most radiant smile on his weary face.

Last night the woman in the bed next to me spent hours planning her funeral in fine detail with her two best friends. Her doctor had been by earlier and answered all her questions about what her death would be like. He was kind, respectful and honest. I am grateful that she will likely slip into a coma and peacefully pass away.

Despite all the pain, the mess, the fear...there are flashes of dignity, love and compassion in this place. The nursing staff are amazing...never will I take them for granted.

1 comment:

  1. *tears* Thank you for bringing these flashes of beauty, love, grace and peace to us Em. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx