Sunday, February 10, 2013

Let's make lemonade!

 

Once I'd had a couple of days to get my head around the news I made a firm resolution to myself and to my husband that I would approach this as a challenge that could only be conquered with a positive attitude. Falling in a heap was simply not an option. I had a family to nurture and a life very much worth living so it was time to 'dry the eyes princess' and live each day by my well worn mantra of 'Keep Calm and Carry On'!

To be honest I was strangely calm when I broke the news to family and friends but was taken aback by how many were visibly upset and moved to tears. There was an overwhelming outpouring of love that came my way from beloved both near and far. I have never felt so incredibly blessed. How lucky am I to be loved by so many wonderful people. The only time I felt myself losing courage was when I told my little sister who lives in Amsterdam. Listening to her cry was such a difficult thing to bear. I really hated being the cause of worry and stress, I hated not being able to hug her and tell her it really was ok. Big sisters are meant to be the strong ones who protect and I dearly wanted to protect her from the feelings my news had created. I was very grateful that her boyfriend was there to support her.

Providence ensured that some of my dearest girlfriends had moved to Canberra just months before my diagnosis so I have a ready made support network of amazing, strong and inspiring women whom I can call on for anything...from babysitting and making meals, to holding my hand at appointments and taking me out for a coffee and a good laugh. I have been showered with deliveries of flowers, delectable food hampers, devilishly funny cards and messages of encouragement from all around Australia and overseas. I am by no means alone...all of this love has given me immense strength and an iron will to battle these nasty little cancer cells with everything I have.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx