Friday, February 15, 2013

Babies blissed out on booby juice

I breastfed Harry for 14 months and it was a truly blissful experience. I would spend entire feeds just gazing at my tiny son, in awe that he was mine. I adored it when he became milk drunk at the end of each feed, a contented smile turning up the corners of his beautiful little mouth.

I had a slightly less blissful experience with the Jackman. He latched on the moment he was placed on my chest and it was beautiful. By week two I noticed that he was struggling to attach properly. A quick procedure fixed his tongue tie and feeding was fab for four months. Then the mastitis kicked in... seven bouts of it to be exact. Seven bouts over six months. I probably should have switched him to the bottle much earlier than I did. I probably shouldn't have battled on for as long as I did but the perfectionist in me didn't want to give up. He was my last baby and although I'd had enough of 'ow, bloody ow' mastitis, I was reluctant to cut that breastfeeding bond. In the end Jack self weaned at 10 months anyway...and that was that.
 
 
Still...I am proud that I nourished my two boys, I am proud of my body for its abundant supply of super booby juice which fattened them up in their first year. I am immensely grateful for the bond it created between my babies and I. I am so thankful that I got to breastfeed my kids before the Big C arrived.
 

 

Aren't our bodies amazing! Isn't it incredible that we can create human beings and nourish their gorgeous little bodies with our own!

 

 

2 comments:

Love, love, love hearing from my readers. Please, don't make yourself a stranger, stop by and say hi! Links to blogs are most welcome! xxx